The Land Trust's all-volunteer Board of Directors provides governance, promotes our work in the community and beyond, and helps build relationships with partners. Our Board has included active or retired natural resource professionals, local business owners, students and professors from Michigan Tech or Finlandia, and more! Together with our small, professional office staff, the Board sets policies, determines project selection criteria, and creates goals for the organization, and oversees our financials to ensure we remain on stable footing. Our Board Members are elected at our Annual Meeting to 3-year terms.
The Directors also serves on Board Committees, which provide specific support to different parts of our mission. We welcome committee service from community members that have an interest in one or more of our Board Committees. The following is a list of our current Board Committees and their basic functions:
- The Executive Committee includes the Board President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary.
- The Finance Committee, led by the Board Treasurer, oversees the financial condition of the organization, ensuring that the Financial Policy and Gift Acceptance Policy are being carried out, and that regular financial reports from the Executive Director are sufficient to enable the full Board to understand the current and future financial condition of KLT.
- The Community Engagement Committee develops approaches to gather community and member feedback as well as assist in building organizational membership and fundraising.
- The Policy Committee monitors the implementation of our organizational policy and maintains the policy manual.
- The Lands Committee reviews project proposals and oversees the land stewardship program to ensure consistency with KLTs long term goals.
- In addition, each year, an ad hoc Nominating Committee, made up of two Directors of the Board not seeking reelection and two non-Board members, provides a slate of candidates for the annual Board of Directors election held at our Annual Meeting.
Join us! We welcome members and volunteers to consider getting directly involved by joining the Board of Directors or the Board Committees. If you have questions or comments, or if you or someone you know is interested in volunteering on our Board or committees, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.